Samstag, 18. August 2012

Snippets from Abroad 004

Sometimes, decisions need to be made quickly:

I have checked in at the small guesthouse in the dusty border-town two hours ago. It had been a rough trip here, through the nightly Bangkok, a long bus-ride, across a huge border-market full of scammers shilling out fake visa, waiting in line at the border for what must have been hours, evading the next wave of scammers, these forcing overpriced transport upon you and then finally arriving at this guesthouse where I am sure that I'm the first non-Thai foreigner they had as a guest in at least a month. I was tired and dirty and spread out my pack across the room before leaving to get a bus-ticket with one of the local bus companies for the next day. Out there I heard that there was no bus the next day. Only one today. Leaving in 16 minutes. There were two options here: Spend another day and night in this crummy border-town doing nothing or hurrying the fuck up. I decided for the latter and sprinted back to the guesthouse, running upstairs, stuffing everything I can find into my backpack running back downstairs, pressing my key into the waiting hands of the lady who seems to own the place and also seems to understand exactly what is going on and then run along the dusty road to get to that bus in time. Two steps of the trip in one day, not in two. I have lost some money on that room but I have gained a day. Not a bad trade...


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen